HOME MADE CROUTONS RECIPE
These home made croutons are very simple to make but rival anything you can buy. Especially good with our CAESAR SALAD DRESSING and romaine lettuce.
Home Made Croutons
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- 4 or 5 slices of firm day old bread
- splash of olive oil
- shake of fine sea salt
- shake of ground black pepper
- shake of garlic powder (or tablespoon of finely minced fresh garlic)
1. Cut day old bread into 1" squares and place on a cookie sheet.
2. Drizzle olive oil over bread while turning and mixing with fingers. You just want enough to make the salt and pepper stick to the bread. Do not soak the bread.
3. Shake salt, pepper and garlic powder on bread while mixing with fingers (about 1 tablespoon each).
4. Add any other spices that strike your fancy...dill weed, paprika, oregano.
5. Place in 400 degree F. oven.
6. IMPORTANT: watch the croutons...do not leave unattended. They will burn quickly.
7. Cook until croutons have slight browning around edges, turning once (ovens vary but about 3-5 minutes).
The croutons will keep on the counter in a sealed zip lock plastic bag for at least a week.
Tip: Some types of bread will produce a soft crouton (they should be crunchy). If too soft, leave out in the open air overnight and place in a sealed bag the next day.