Home Made Vegan Croutons Recipe
These home made croutons are very simple to make but rival anything you can buy. Especially good with our Caesar Salad Dressing and romaine lettuce.
* 4 or 5 slices of day old bread (any bread will do but it should be firm - don't use dinner rolls or buns)
* splash of olive oil
* shake of fine sea salt
* shake of ground black pepper * shake of garlic powder (or tablespoon of finely minced fresh garlic)
- Cut day old bread into 1" squares and place on a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over bread while turning and mixing with fingers. You just want enough to make the salt and pepper stick to the bread (about 1-2 tablespoons). Do not soak the bread.
- Shake salt, pepper and garlic powder on bread while mixing with fingers (about 1 tablespoon each).
- Add any other spices that strike your fancy...dill weed, paprika, oregano.
- Place in 400 degree F. oven.
- IMPORTANT: watch the croutons...do not leave unattended. They will burn quickly.
- Cook until croutons have slight browning around edges, turning once.
The croutons will keep on the counter in a sealed zip lock plastic bag for at least a week.
Tip: Some types of bread will produce a soft crouton (they should be crunchy). If too soft, leave out in the open air overnight and place in a sealed bag the next day.