VEGAN RUM CAKE RECIPE
While this cake is easy to make you might need to make a few adjustments if you use the frosting recipe included below.
The frosting consistency can vary by temperature and humidity as well as small variances in the amount of ingredients. However, it is not difficult to adjust.
If the frosting is too thin and runny, add more powdered sugar a little at a time while stirring. If the frosting is too thick, add a little more margarine.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
Yield: 8 servings
Ingredients:- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups sugar (brown rice syrup, Agave syrup or your favorite)
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces silken tofu
- 1/4 cup coconut flavored rum
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- FOR FROSTING:
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Instructions:1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Grease 2 cake pans.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
4. Combine coconut milk, sugar, vanilla extract, tofu, rum, and butter in another bowl. Mix well. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Stir until no lumps are present.
5. Place 1/2 the batter in each prepared cake pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
6. Cool and frost with your favorite frosting or use frosting recipe that follows.
7. TO MAKE FROSTING: See FROSTING INGREDIENTS list above: Mix margarine, shortening and vanilla together with an electric mixer.
8. Slowly add in powdered sugar while continuing to mix until smooth and creamy. To obtain the right consistency you may need to add additional powdered sugar or margarine.
9. Make sure cake is cool before frosting.
If you see an ad here that is not vegan friendly...Read This